If you or someone you know has experienced sexual assault,  we are here 24/7/365.

24-Hour Crisis Line:  (907) 276-7273
Toll-Free Crisis Line:  (800) 478-8999

 All STAR services for survivors are provided free of charge.


After Sexual Assault

After sexual assault, it’s hard to know how to react. You may be physically hurt, emotionally drained, or unsure what to do next. You may be considering working with the criminal justice system, but are unsure of where to start. Learning more about what steps you can take following sexual violence can help ground you in a difficult time.

If you are a friend or family member of someone who has experienced sexual violence, it can take a toll on you.  You will likely need some support, too. 

Call us, we are here to help. 

What are my options?

There are always options but they vary depending on your age and where the crime occurred.*

1. Report to Law Enforcement, receive a forensic exam and medical care
2. Report Anonymously, receive a forensic exam and medical care
3. Access medical care through the ER or a medical provider

Only you can decide what the best choice is for you, but STAR can help you understand your options along the way. 

​*If you are under 18 or are considered a vulnerable adult, a report MUST be made regarding your safety. All of STAR’s staff are mandated reporters, and if you provide any identifying information and disclose your age, a report will be made to the Office of Children’s Services or Adult Protective Services.

What if I want to remain anonymous?

Within the Municipality of Anchorage, adults have the option to receive a medical/forensic exam by a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) without making a report to law enforcement. As an anonymous victim, your health- care needs will be addressed and any evidence collected will be preserved while you have time to think about whether you want to report to law enforcement. If you choose to report the crime to law enforcement at a later date, you will need to sign a consent form provided by the SANE. Once you open the report to law enforcement, the police will need to interview you, and may contact the suspect and witnesses to interview them.

Where can I go for medical support?

If you are an adult, you have the right to medical care without law enforcement notification. Seeking immediate assistance through an Emergency Room and asking to speak with an Advocate will ensure your health, privacy, and rights are protected.

How should I contact Law Enforcement?

If you are considering reporting to Law Enforcement, the best way to know which agency to call is to simply dial 911. You will be connected to the agency that has jurisdiction.

What is the Court Process like?

Click here to see our flow chart on what may happen after a crime is reported.

Reporting Sexual Abuse of a Minor

Any suspected abuse of a minor should be immediately reported by professionals under Mandated Reporting requirements.  You can always call STAR if you have questions or if you are unsure, or you can find more information and contact the Office of Children's Services.

Report Child Abuse Call: 1-800-478-4444
[email protected] or
Fax: 907-269-3939

For more information or Mandatory Reporter Training: www.ReportChildAbuse.alaska.gov

the deaf hotline logo

The National Deaf Hotline is available for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing Community and their loved ones.

The National Deaf Hotline strives to make sure there is access for survivors, friends, and family members to reach out anytime by providing services 24/7.

The services are to support survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault within the Deaf, Deaf/Blind, Deaf/Disabled, and Hard-of-Hearing community.

Click the button below to visit thedeafhotline.org website.


Quick Links to More Resources

Alaska 211

A service of the United Ways in Alaska

No matter where you live in Alaska, 2-1-1 is your one-stop resource for connecting with a wide variety of services in your community including emergency food and shelter, educational opportunities, alcohol and drug treatment programs, senior services, child care, and much more.

Anchorage Resources

Contact information for service agencies within the Municipality of Anchorage.

This Anchorage Community Emergency and Advocacy Resources booklet, also known as The Little Blue Booklet, is provided as a guide to available services and assistance.

Alaska Resources

State of Alaska
Information about  Victim/Witness Assistance statewide.

State of Alaska Department of Law's  definition, information and resources about sexual assault, safety planning, victims' rights, and more.


National Resources & Information

RAINN, (Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network) is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE and online.rainn.org) and the DoD Safe Helpline.

To find information about laws in your state, click here.


National Sexual Violence Resource Center

The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) provides information and tools to prevent and respond to sexual violence. NSVRC translates research and trends into best practices that help individuals, communities and service providers achieve real and lasting change. For more information visit www.nsvrc.org